Spring 2020 DIY Home Projects
by Melissa Smith
Being at home more is making me want to ENJOY being home more. Are you spending extra time at home? Now is a great time to do all those little projects that you have been wanting to do throughout the past few years! Below, I have compiled a list of ideas for you to do to freshen up your home this spring!
- Paint Cabinets: This is a cost-effective way to make your kitchen feel fresh and almost like a whole new kitchen! You don’t even have to change the color of the cabinets, and it will still have such an impact. If you are looking for something new, try painting the top set of cabinets and the bottom set of cabinets two different, complementary colors!
- Power Wash: This is a true game-changer; I power washed for the first time by myself last week and it was incredibly satisfying. Try power washing the exterior of your home, the concrete patios/sidewalks, your deck, and the list goes on! Look up the correct pressure for the material and be sure to test a small section to make sure the pressure isn’t too much before you dive in!
- Plant Flowers: Don’t just plant any flowers, find flowers that you think are BEAUTIFUL and that return each year! This will make it so much easier to keep up with your landscaping. Plus, it will be a nice surprise come next spring when you realize you thought ahead and already have gorgeous blooms!
- Match Light Bulbs: This is something small and some may think tedious, but you should do it anyway. Get all the light bulbs in each room to match. Make sure the type of light (soft vs vivid, type of bulb, etc.) all match.
- Clean Air Vents & Change Filters: Clean out all your heating/cooling return air vents. Also, change air filters in your furnace. This is something fairly simple that you can easily do on a rainy day.
- Garden: Have you been wanting to plant a garden for the past few years, but before you know it spring has passed? Well, there is no better time than now for this springtime project! There is nothing better than picking your first batch of homegrown tomatoes. The opportunities for fruit and vegetable growing in Indiana is immense, AND this will save you from having to go to the store as much for fresh produce!
- Paint/Touch Up Interior Walls: Another cost-effective way to freshen up your home! Do you have nicks where a dog has scratched, or someone ran into your wall with furniture? Why not touch those little places up with paint you already have at home! Thinking about doing an accent wall? Try a 2020 trending color like royal blue or forest green.
- Outside Living Space: With this spring weather and staying home, now is a lovely time to create your own outdoor oasis if you don’t already have one! One way you can do this without hiring out someone to pour concrete/build a deck is by creating a gravel patio. Look up “gravel patio” -the ideas and inspiration are endless! This is something that can literally be done in one day. Then, you can sit back, relax, soak up the sun and read a good book!
- Clean Out Closets/Garage: I don’t think I need to elaborate much on this…. It really isn’t a DIY, but I had to put it on here. I always like to save this kind of project for when I am getting REALLY bored, as I personally don’t find this very exciting, but it is definitely something to do to help you feel more organized and declutter!